Thursday 8 January 2009

Inkheart

I like Brendan Fraser. I liked him in Scrubs (he was my favourite character, despite only appearing in two episodes), I liked him in the Mummy films, and I like him in this (perhaps a little less than in the Mummy films, although the effects are just as good).


Based on the trilogy by Cornelia Funke, Inkheart concentrates on Mortimer Folchart (Brendan Fraser), a man with a love of books and a strange ability. When he reads aloud, things leave their books, and are swapped with something from this world - as he finds out to his dismay when he accidentally swaps his wife for the villainous Capricorn.


Mo, and his daughter Meggie (Eliza Bennett), begin fleeing from Capricorn, while searching for another copy of the book, Inkheart, in order to read their wife and mother out again. This is further complicated by Dustfinger (Paul Bettany), who wants Mo to read him back into Inkheart, and Capricorn, who, as well as chasing Mo, has no intention of ever returning to his former world - and so seeks to destroy every copy of the book.

All of the actors did well in this film - particularly Eliza Bennet, who is very young - but I mainly noticed Paul Bettany and Rafi Gavron, who played Farid. Gavron is very good - his accent is noticeable and effective, but not irritating, which can be hard to pull off. Sienna Guillory also deserves congratulations - she did brilliant things with a role in which, for the most part, she literally has no voice.


It is curious to note how many film studios copy each other. Finding Nemo and Shark Tale, for instance. And recently, Hotel For Dogs, Bolt and Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Inkheart is out currently, along with Bedtime Stories. I cannot reasonably compare, since I haven't seen the latter, but I think it's the better of the two.


The film is rated PG, which I'd agree with. The Shadow might be quite terrifying to extremely young children, but generally, no one will be too traumatised.

No comments: