Saturday 10 January 2009

I am very suspicious

New film He's Just Not That Into You has no less than nine famous actors shown in the trailer; Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Scarlett Johansson, Justin Long, Jennifer Connelly, Ginnifer Goodwin, Kevin Connolly, and Bradley Cooper (I couldn't find the actual trailer I've seen at the cinema - the link is just the first one I found on youtube).


This makes me very suspicious, and I can see only two explanations. Firstly, that the script is so good that all of these big names agreed to accept a lower fee than normal to appear. Secondly, that they blew their entire budget on the cast.


The film is based on the self-help book of the same name by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo. Turning a self-help book into a film has worked before, in Mean Girls (ignoring all those weird tribal sequences), which was based on the book Queen Bees and Wannabes, by Rosalind Wiseman.


He's Just Not That Into You (the book) came, in turn from an episode of Sex and the City, as discussed on Wiki.


Honestly, at first glance, it looks like an non-christmassy version of Love, Actually (which, to be fair, I haven't seen). And that whole myspace/facebook/text/buzzword/buzzword/buzzword thing? N00bs. I hate that thing, where people on TV inhabit either an entirely fictional version of the internet, or the glossy surface - as opposed to the gritty underbelly. Where everybody writes 'you' with one letter (that's in media world, not the real one).


I'm a bit of a purist. Like one of the original punks seeing a fifteen-year-old stick a pin through his ear, because that's what one does, these days, to be rebellious, don't you know.


Anyway, back to the film. I'll probably see it out of curiosity. Cynical as I may be, I hope that it will actually be an interesting film, not just a glittering one.

No comments: